Wednesday, July 23, 2008

If you stop hating your body, will you look good naked?

Fashion may be based on the latest and greatest trends, but true style is based on looking good. This year I discovered a fabulous television show on slice called “How to Look Good Naked” hosted by British fashion stylist Gok Wan. Unlike other fashion industry-based shows that offer a one-dimensional makeover, which gives a woman self-confidence for a few days until she slips back into old habits, HTLGN goes behind the seams. The formula starts with some self-esteem building exercises and ends with them ready to pose naked. Most of the women featured have misconceptions of their own body image and find endless amounts of flaws in their lovely figures. I was a total body hater at age 12. It was such an awkward age and two of my closest friends thought they were fat at size 2, which is very disturbing considering our age. After trying to follow magazine diets and working out constantly, I realized my body was never going to really change and I actually kind of liked my body. Since then I wear what I want with confidence, eat healthy and refuse to deprive myself of Taco Bell. While I feel confident about my size, I notice many of my friends still hanging on to their negative body image issues. Women need to start loving their bodies and this show serves as almost a public health service to stop the hating. One of the first stages of the HTLGN program is to deal with misconception. Gok will ask the featured woman to choose where she belongs in a line up of half naked women arranged from small sizes to larger sizes. All of the featured women think they are at least two sizes larger than their actual size.
Weaved into this journey of self-confidence are tips on how to look good naked, as the show claims in their title (*tips such as bronzer to define muscles, endermologie used to reduce cellulite, high heels to help legs look longer*), and how to look good dressed. The latter is one of the most useful parts of the show. Using runway*sorry catwalk* footage they show different styles of one trend and which body type it would look best on. An example from last night’s episode featured the maxi dress, which petite girls should wear with small prints while tall girls can wear with large prints to carry your eye across instead of up and down. It’s very logical and very relevant to women who want to wear the latest style while looking good and celebrating their size. Beware of the American version of HTLGN. No offense to Carson Kressley but the show seems to miss some crucial elements in an attempt to make it their own.

No comments:

Comments