Thursday, July 17, 2008

For the love of Batman

I have just finished reading a review by Peter Howell in the Toronto Star for The Dark Knight, which opens tonight for midnight screenings across the GTA. I have tears swelling up already! (It’s going to be sad. Health Ledger’s final performance and the beginning of Two-Face.) The article mentions how “the movie is almost Shakespearean.” With so much tragedy, humour and reckless human behaviour weaved into Batman’s intricate storylines I can see why that comparison can be justified.
Back in 1992 I use to watch Batman: The Animated Series. An darkly-stylized, Emmy Award-winning animated series that remains my favorite cartoon of all time and even one of my favorite series as of now (Check out episodes like: Harvey and Ivy, Heart of Ice, Two-Face, Almost Got ‘im.) The storytelling of Batman and his friends and foes is so interesting I can understand why Hollywood keeps going back to it and we keep watching. There needs to be a good Batman/Catwoman movie again. I loved Batman Returns but Catwoman needs some redemption after the Razzie-Award winning movie Catwoman circa 2004 starring Halle Berry in the worst get-up I have even seen. Worst than pajama pants tucked into Uggs! *Shudder* Ok maybe I went too far but I refused to watch a movie about my favorite Batman character because of that costume.
At this year’s annual Costume Institute gala at the Met the themed was Superhero: Fashion and Fantasy and featured original costumes from the Batman movies (including the Catwoman costume Michelle Pfeiffer wore in Batman Returns circa 1992!!!) and famous designers interpretations. The event also included some fantastic, bold fashion statements from the attendees. It's definitely a year for the superhero look and bold colour choices!



Images: Getty Images, Wireimage.com, google images
Left to Right: Christina Ricci in Givenchy Haut Couture, Zac Posen with Kate Mara in his designs, Venus Williams and Andre Leon Talley in a red Chanel cape.

No comments:

Comments