Thursday, August 28, 2008

Hye Park for Supermodel! You have my vote.

This year has brought forward much needed awareness to the "whitewash" problem in the fashion industry. Consciously or non-consciously, I can't stop myself from noticing race in magazines now. I almost feel like boycotting brands for using a army of blond, pale models in their ad campaigns. Although there are alarmingly few black models on the scene, I noticed more Asian models scoring major ad campaigns this fall for brands like Emporio Armani and Max Mara. The Max Mara store on Bloor Street has this gigantic window display of the ad featuring Korean-American model Hye Park.
Although how much does anyone know about Asian models? Given, not many models are household names anymore, but I read and write about fashion news daily and I know nothing about Asian models.
Hye Park made her runway debut in 2005 and since then appeared in editorial for magazines like Vogue, Flair and Harper's Baazar and on catwalks for designers such as Prada, Chanel and Alexander McQueen. Other high-profile Asian models include Chinese model Du Juan, China's first supermodel and Japanese models Ai Tominaga and Anne Watanabe. The information available is limited. So who's to blame? The media, the fashion industry or ourselves for not taking enough of a interest.

No comments:

Comments